Reflexology is a focused pressure technique, usually directed at the feet or hands. It is based on the premise that there are zones and reflexes on different parts of the body which corresponds to and are relative to all parts, glands and organs of the entire body.
How Does It Work?
When the reflexes are stimulated, the body's natural electrical energy works along the nervous system to clear any blockages in the corresponding zones. A reflexology session seems to break up deposits (felt as a sandy or gritty area under the skin) which may interfere with this natural flow of the body's energy. Manipulating specific reflexes removes stress, activating a parasympathetic response in the body to enable the disharmonies to be released by a physiological change in the body. With stress removed and circulation improved, the body is allowed to return to a state of homeostasis. Homeostasis is the "automatic" process that the body incorporates to bring it back to the "normal" state. For example, if the blood pressure is abnormal, the kidneys will secrete the enzyme renin which is involved with blood pressure, and the hormone, erythropoietin that increases the rate of red blood cell production.
Reflexology can help:
- Stress related conditions
- Migraine, headaches, insomnia, panic attacks, high blood pressure
- Conditions of the Digestive System - Colitis, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome
- Hormonal conditions - PMS, hot flashes, menopausal symptoms
- Common medical complaints - Asthma, Sinusitis, Sciatica, bladder infections, general aches and pains in the neck, back and shoulder